Monday, September 15, 2008

Listener Anticipates Speaker's Word Choice: 60 Second Science

60 Second Science from Scientific American

A brief podcast from Scientific American on how we listen to people speak. A transcript exists on the original article page, but I recommend you play the file from here for the full listening effect (for me, it's much too tempting to read along, defeating the purpose of the podcast).

Link to original article

If it isn't working for you here on the blog, I guess you'll have to settle for the above link.

3 comments:

Jorgen said...

Things like this are PRECISELY why I switched my major to Integrated Studies so that I could study the brain/cognitive science (to the best that my options allow at UVU).

I fell in love with the brain earlier this year. And I love reading and learning anything about my(brain)self.

Language is one of the greatest things about how our brains work. I am very excited for the rest of this class, and for the next few semesters.

Thanks for posting this.

Grabloid said...

yes, good post...this is good alongside the other post (a few posts back) about visual prediction and spelling, and how our brains can still register the words...

Scott Abbott said...

And if we're talking with persons who, with age, have trouble coming up with words, we can supply a list for them before they say the word.