Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Phonetics Flash Animation Project

I ran across this site while I was stumbling through linguistic websites. I think this is a wonderful idea, perhaps because I have benefited from anatomical diagrams before (that's how I learned to roll my R). Anyhow, below is the "about" section of their site. Check it out:

This site contains animated libraries of the phonetic sounds of English, German, and Spanish. Available for each consonant and vowel is an animated articulatory diagram, a step-by-step description, and video-audio of the sound spoken in context. It is intended for students of phonetics, linguistics, and foreign language. There is also an interactive diagram of the articulatory anatomy.

This project was a collaborative effort of the Departments of Spanish and Portuguese, German, Speech Pathology and Audiology, and Academic Technologies at The University of Iowa.

2 comments:

Grabloid said...

Great post. I am learning German right now and I will refer to this as I go on learning. I will also recommend other students in my class to this phonetics site. I can already see that it will be quite helpful.

Scott Abbott said...

I too learned to roll my German "R" with my uvula by referring to such a diagram.
The word I practiced on was a streetcar stop in Cologne, which the driver loved to say with a long trilled "R": RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRindermannstrasse!