Monday, August 30, 2010

A Zen quote.

Thirty years ago, before I began the study of Zen, I said, 'Mountains are mountains, waters are waters.' After I got insight into the truth of Zen through the instructions of a good master, I said, 'Mountains are not mountains, waters are not waters.' But now, having attained the abode of final rest, (that is, Enlightenment) I say, 'Mountains are really mountains, waters are really waters.'

I was reminded about this quote durring our discussion today. It is as if we are trying to understand and study a higher form of language than most of us have previously done. However it seems that the level of understanding which we are seeking is higher than we will be able to reach unless a knowing along with a being happens. We are looking at these ideas and concepts in ways that we can describe which is limiting, because many of them ARE without words. (Our words at least.) Would a high form of language include connecting with, understanding, feeling, being, seeing, and knowing, everything that exists? How would we go about getting there? Is it possible that we already are THERE but are just unaware of it?

4 comments:

Scott Abbott said...

thoughts well worth thinking! what kinds of experience are beyond language, i wonder? what are the dangers and/or benefits of bringing them into language?

Cami Atkinson said...

Have you ever had one of those moments when someone says something that you and another person look at each other knowing exactly what the other one is thinking and bust up laughing? I beleive that those instances are a higher form of language. In one look two people are remembering the same point in time. They are seeing, smelling and hearing the same moment they remembered. Without saying a word they have communicated and their minds are on the same page.

Jenetta said...

Not only have I had those moments, but I live for those moments. Police officers and others are taught to recognize, by non-verbal communication such as eye flicks and micro movements, whether or not a perpetrator is telling the truth or hiding something. I have seen studies that suggest 60% of communication is non-verbal. I also think this includes thought connection and recognition of meaning in a situation.
In my family there are four sisters. I can look at any single one them and an entire converstaion is had by lifting an eyebrow. That is our language.

Carmell said...

I really like this post and the comments. I personally think that perhaps language follows experience like its shadow, an outline of the actual against the backdrop of other potential experiences, a negative of the positive seen in the light of our intent. But never able to catch it, or be it. In this way, language becomes its own experience leaving other shadows for us to try to catch and hold on to and wonder at...