Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The sandbox world.

This came to mind today when I was reading over some Rimbaud. Poet/Songwriter extraordinaire, Bob Dylan was deeply influenced by his work. Dylan also was on a journey to transcend the limitations of expression and defy convention. In the recent documentary on Dylan, No Direction Home, the late great Allen Ginsberg recounts the story of how he wept the first time he heard Dylan play the song Hard Rain, realizing that the torch had been passed to the great poet/seer of the next generation. I tried to find the clip, but to no avail. If you have the time to listen to Hard Rain, I would highly encourage it.
The link that I am including will lead you to Dylan reciting the prose-poem, Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie. To say much in preface would be to diminish its power, but I would be interested in any observations or feelings about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbr0y8zp68

2 comments:

Scott Abbott said...

find them both in the Grand Canyon at sunset!

thanks.

Jason G said...

I love that part. I get the chills every time.